Cauliflower: Pretty and pretty surprising.
If you get to know it well, Cauliflower can charm you in all its subtleties.
You know it goes wonderfully with scallops and some Fish. And its a great soup ally.
Cauliflower has the power to release a fine flavor in a dish, elevate the rest of the plate, or on the contrary, blend in and add texture and smoothness.
Texture is what i was seeking when trying to replicate a Curry, to hold a bowl of comfort with no Tomatoes or Coconut as a base. Blood type As are missing out like that.
So using the traditional base of Indian cuisine, Spices, Onion, Ginger and Garlic, i experimented with Cauliflower to make the curry sauce.
Not only did it work but it opened a door to the prostitution of a wide range of classic Indian recipes. Now the door is open, i cannot wait to try more variances.
This take uses fresh green peas, very unattractive yellow and green plate, but try it, and when you eat it, it will feel like a big hug.
Makes in 30 minutes
PREP YOUR VEG
- Chop the Cauliflower into bitesize florets
- Finely slice the Onion, Garlic and Ginger
- In a pot over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of clarified butter. Sweat the Onions with the turmeric, add a little salt.
- When the Onions look tired and start to caramelize, add the Finer and Garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add the Curry powder, mix well.
- Add the Cauliflower, mix well to coat al the ingredients in the Fat and Spices and allow to cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add just enough water to barely cover the ingredients, cover and cook until all ingredients are super cooked over medium-low heat.
Check on it every now and again, if most of the water evaporates, add a little more to keep the mixture loose.
MAKE THE RICE
- Boil 2 cups of water in a kettle.
- Melt the remaining clarified Butter with the Lime leaves in a small lidded saucepan over medium heat. When it starts to froth, add the rice and mix well to coat it in the fat.
- Add a little salt. Pour in the boiled water and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
I like my rice to burn a little at the bottom of the pan and get all the crunchy bits. If you do too, leave the pan over the heat and forget about it until you finish preparing the CAULI-CURRY.
If not, take the pan of the heat, wrap it in a kitchen towel and allow to rest in the oven - untill you serve.
CAULI-CURRY COME TO LIFE
- By now your CAULI-CURRY should be totally stewed.
- Transfer the Cauliflower mixture to a food processor and pulse until super smooth.
- Place a sieve over the pot and transfer your super smooth mixture through it. It should feel like velvet on your tongue. If it doesn't pass it again.
- Over a low heat, add the fresh Peas to the CAULI-CURRY and cook until they are softened but still have a bite to them.
- Add a knob of clarified butter to finish. Sprinkle some fresh coriander.
with the Rice and thank the Universe.
For type A: Garlic, Ginger, Onions, Lime leaves, Turmeric are beneficial. Cauliflower, Peas, Curry powder, Rice and clarified Butter are neutral.
For type B: Cauliflower, Ginger, Curry powder are beneficial. Garlic, Peas, Onions, Lime leaves, Rice, Turmeric and clarified Butter are neutral.
For type O: Garlic, Ginger, Onions, Curry powder, Turmeric are beneficial. Peas, Lime leaves, Rice and clarified Butter are neutral. Cauliflower is an avoid.
For type AB: Garlic, Cauliflower, Curry powder are beneficial. Ginger, Peas, Onions, Lime leaves, Rice, Turmeric and clarified Butter are neutral.
1 Cauliflower head, stalks removes
1 Onion, peeled
2 Garlic cloves, peeled
A thumb of ginger, peeled
2 Tbsps of curry powder
1 Tbsps turmeric powder
2 Tbsps of clarified butter
1 Cup of fresh peas, shelled
2 Cups of Jasmine Rice
2 Lime leaves
Fresh coriander for fun