Ah, worship the crunchy watery feel of Romaine. It's juicy and flavourful, no wonder, my favorite salad in the world is ONE green, TWO Ceasar.
In any case. Romaine lettuce is great.
Called "Romaine" in American english and French, it is called "Cos" in British English and "Arabic salad" in Lebanese. Go figure, it actually originates from Greece, namely, the Kos island.
Beyond being salad material, did you know that Romaine is a great partner to weightloss? It's rich in fiber content that helps your digestive tract, it's packed with vitamins espacially A, K & C and contains 10% of your daily intake of Potassium which helps assisting muscle strength.
Try grilled Romaine for a change on the BBQ, it's always nice to switch things up with vegetables. You'll realise how versatile this one is!
Make in 10 minutes
- Pre-heat your grill until it is piping hot.
- Place the lettuce flat face down and grill for no more than 3-4 minutes until the grill marks show their face. You don't want the lettuce to wilt...
- Grill the lemon, you want to scorch it nicely.
- Generously sprinkle the Feta cheese crumbles and the chopped spring onion
- Squeeze the grilled lemon over the lettuce.
- Drizzle with extra-virign olive oil, a pinch of salt
- 1 baby Romaine lettuce, about 20cm -not the baby gem, slice in half lengthwise
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- Feta crumbles
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- Extra-Virign olive oil
- Sea salt