Lebanese cuisine uses vegetables beautifully. You may be familiar with the traditional mezze ceremonial of hummus and company, but heart warming dishes are yet to be discovered - those cooked by your mama at home.
These usually are tomato based stews eaten with a side of rice, variations abound with a rainbow of vegetables and an option of meat. This stew "bamiah" - literally translated "Lady fingers" or "okra" simply brings together the vegetable, with fresh onions, tomatoes, garlic and fresh coriander.
Having completely invested my mom's repertoire of Lebanese home cooking on the BTD, and in search of new flavours, i started experimenting or "prostituting" as my mom would say, her recipes by replacing or omitting ingredients to suit my blood type compatibility.
But this is the original. Sometimes, although i adore garlic, can find the coriander and garlic addition to be heavy on the stomach.
If like me you'd prefer the lighter version, cook the garlic and the fresh coriander with the onion in the first step of the recipe.
Blood types B, AB & O, to add meat to this dish, simply prepare ahead lamb meat stewed in onions. Find the recipe here.
Make in 40 minutes - including the preparation
PREP YOUR VEG
- With a sharp knife, trim the okra heads in a cone shape, but do not chop them off! Wash and lay on a cloth to dry fully.
- Finely slice the tomato.
- Peel the onions, cut them in half and finely slice in half moons.
- Crush the garlic, set aside.
- Pick the coriander leaves from the stems. Reserve.
- In a deep pan over medium heat, drizzle a little -no more than a tablespoon!- extra-virgin olive oil. Sweat the onions and allow them to soften and turn hazel.
- Add the okra, stir well. Add a little salt. Stir well.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and cover. Stir occasionally, cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the rice.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and fry the garlic until crispy with the coriander.
- Pour the fried garlic + coriander in the okra stew. Mix well.
Season to taste
Eat with the side of rice.
Blood type A: Okra, onions, garlic and extra-virgin olive oil are beneficial. Coriander is neutral. Tomatoes are to avoid.
Blood type B: Extra-virgin olive oil is beneficial. Okra, onions, garlic are neutral. Tomatoes are to avoid.
Blood type O: Okra, onions, garlic and extra-virgin olive oil are beneficial. Tomatoes and coriander are neutral.
Blood type AB: Garlic and extra-virgin olive oil are beneficial. Okra, onions, tomatoes and coriander are neutral.
500 Gr Okra, preferably fresh - frozen if you must.
2 Fresh tomatoes, wash, peeled and deseeded.
2 Onions, peeled.
5 Garlic cloves, peeled.
2 Cups of fresh coriander
Extra-Virgin olive oil