When spring fridge cleaning meets Lebanese comfort food, you get Lebanese style dirty rice. Lamb mince, peas, rice, onion, coriander, stir fried and topped with cumin-paprika yogurt and a quick red onion relish.
This recipe is intended to be made with the odd ends lying in your fridge so I won't be going into the details of making minced meat (mainly, cook down with a mountain of onions, and always batch cook to portion in your freezer for days like this). Of course, you could add the vegetables you like, I think this would be particularly nice with more cumin and dill, if you ar einto that?
Ready in 10 minutes if you have all the ingredients
Prepare the relish
In a bowl, place the thinly sliced red onion with the lemon juice and refrigerate.
Prepare the yogurt
- In a large non-stick pan (the same pan that you will use for the rice) over medium heat, lightly fry the cumin seeds with the paprika in the oil, until the cumin is fragrant and pops, mixing well.
- Drizzle the cumin mixture over the yogurt, add the salt and mix well to combine. Reserve.
Prepare the dirty rice
- In the same pan over medium-high, dry fry the lamb mince for a minute, add the rice and mix well.
- Season with salt, add the peas and the pine nuts. Mix well, turn the heat off and stir in the coriander.
Plate the dirty rice, top with the yogurt, red onions and a few more coriander leaves,
For the dirty rice
- 100g leftover rice
- 100g leftover lamb minced (or what you prefer)
- 20g pine nuts, lightly fried
- 100g frozen / leftover green peas
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
For the paprika-cumin yogurt
- 100ml plain yogurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the onion relish
- 1/4 ref onion, thinly sliced
- The juice of a lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt