Two years into the Blood Type Diet®, I've started to become a little lineant about "food prostitution". If you do not know me yet, well, I was brought up by a mother who is extremely conservative when it comes to preserving culinary traditions. In this case here, pancakes are pancakes, and should be made with white wheat flour, as they should. Not only is the topic of food prostitution epic in our home, but she is a miller you see. So submit any "food prostitution" that is linked to baking and you are doomed.
Anyhow, Lea wants pancakes. Lea avoids wheat, and spelt is beneficial for types B & AB and neutral for A & O. So let's make everyone happy and sit and eat together at the table. Mmmkay?
From pan to plate in 20 minutes
PREPARE THE PANCAKE BATTER
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg lightly with the vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Pour in the ghee and milk, and mix well until combined.
- Add the baking powder and reserve.
PREPARE THE APRICOTS
- In a hot non-stick pan, melt the ghee and roast the apricots until nicely golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Reserve in a shallow plate or bowl as they will release their juices and produce a lovely syrupy syrup.
MAKE THE PANCAKES
- Stir the batter before cooking to revive it.
- Laddle in the batter in the same hot apricoty pan.
- Do not rush it, wait for small air bubbles to appear on the pancake before flipping. This will allow for thorough cooking and a more digestible pancake.
- Flip when golden and repeat until you have used all of the batter.
Stack the pancakes nicely on a plate, top with the apricots and sprinkle some roasted almonds. Finish the dish with a drizzle the syrup of your choice, maple syrup is wonderful with these nutty pancakes, agave works well too.
FOR THE PANCAKES
- 1 hen egg
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped or 1/2 tsp pure vanilla paste
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1-1 1/4 cup milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp ghee + extra for the oiling the pan
- 1 tsp baking powder
FOR THE ROASTED APRICOTS
- 3-4 fresh and ripe apricots, ptted and quartered
- 1 tbsp ghee