You got sunset? You got friends? You got white wine? Make this sharing plate pronto! Or let it become a staple in your 'tapas' list.
This dish is totally beneficial for blood type AB & B, lucky ones. It is easy to make, but you will need a mandoline to make sure the sweet potato is sliced nice and fine. If you don't, it's not the end of the world, play it rustic-chic and cut the sweet potato in wedges following the same steps, just baking a little longer in the oven until cooked through.
A last tip: if you're going to Greece on holiday, bring back a stock of feta cheese if you can. If you're not going to Greece anytime soon, make sure the feta you buy is made of 3 ingredients only sheep's milk, renet and salt. It must be made in Greece, and if possible, hold the PDO label in the EU (Protected Designation of Origin). You will thank Greece, every bite.
Make in 20 minutes
Serves 1 hungry chewer as a starter, or 2-3 sharers
PREP THE SWEET POTATO
- Preheart your oven to 180 degrees C.
- With a mandoline, finely slice the sweet potato about 3-4mm thick.
- Place the sweet potato slices on a baking tray lined with foil or baking paper.
- Loosely oil the sweet potato slices with the extra-virgin olive oil, so they are moist on both sides.
- Pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes, keep an eye on those last 3 minutes you do not want the slices to brown. Once done, allow the wedges to cool down for at least 5 minutes
IN THE MEANTIME MAKE THE DRESSING
ps: you won't need to use all of it, but this is the ratio
- In a small bow dissolve the honey in the lemon juice
- Whisk in the cumin, paprika, sea salt and olive oil
- In a large shallow bowl, place the sweet potato petals in a circular motion, like you see in the restaurants.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese.
- Dress using a teaspoon, to moisten the whole, but not drown.
- Sprinkle the almonds everywhere, nicely, and some tarragon.
- 1 Sweet potato, washed, unpeeled
- A generous wedge of good quality feta, crumbled by hand by yours truly
- A couple of sprigs of fresh tarragon, washed
- The juice of a lemon
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil + more to drizzle
- A pinch of paprika
- A pinch of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- A small handful of almonds, toasted and hand crushed