Chicken soup is your friend. It's tasty, warming and comforting. It's also packed with all the nutrients and minerals you need to cure a cold and settle a vulnerable body. This Vietnamese style chicken soup recipe is inspired by Charles Phan from the Slanted Door in SF. It's got a bite and a zing that will make your taste budds happy.
Make in 1 hour
Boil & Prepare the chicken
- Bring a large pot of water (that can contain the chicken) to a boil over high heat with the ginger, green onion, salt and chicken, and boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pot and let stand for another 15 minutes.
- While the chicken rests in its cooking liquid, prepare a large bowl with an ice-water bath. When the chicken is done, remove it from the pot, discard the cooking liquid, and immediately submerge it in the ice-water bath to stop the cooking process. This will also give the meat a firmer texture. Let stand about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cool enough to handle easily.
- Remove from the water and pat dry. Pull the chicken meat from the bones, discarding bones and skin. roughly pull the meat with your fingers, keeping some bits nice and whole.
Prepare the soup
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, drizzle some olive oil and cook the zucchini, stirring very little to give it a nice even golden color on all sides.
- Add the cavolo nero, and stir to coat in the oil and moisture of the pan, allowing to soften for at least 8-10 minutes. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Prepare the vermicelli noodles if using, according to package instructions.
- Heat the chicken stock over medium heat in a separate saucepan and add the grated ginger and garlic.
- Divide the zucchini and cavolo nero, and/or rice noodles -if using- evenly among 4 warmed soup bowls.
- Top each bowl with a generous serving of pulled chicken, scallions and coriander.
- Ladle the hot chicken stock over the top dividing it evenly and sprinkle with the fried shallots.
FOR THE BOILED CHICKEN
1 whole chicken (3 pounds / 1.3 Kg)
6 green onions, whole
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, crushed 1 tbsp salt or seaweed salt if available
FOR THE SOUP
3 quartz / 2.8L chicken stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into thick sticks
4 cups cavolo nero, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 small thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
1 pack (16oz) dry vermicelli rice noodles.