I discovered Vineet Bathia's restaurant Rasoi in Dubai over 10 years ago with my mom, while on a short business trip. It was an enchanting meal, and I had never had such distinct flavours in Indian cuisine, a true discovery. We left the restaurant with the treasured cookbook -now sold out- and have been cooking from it ever since. The recipes are laborious but layered, delicate and vibrant. Fast forward today, as we are locked down due to the coronavirus, I have prepared this "Quarantine Butter Chicken" by Vineet Bathia, discovered on his Instagram channel. Quick, practical and delightful. It is perfect for another rainy day in London.
In this recipe, you can poach chicken in the sauce, but i am using leftover roast chicken. Enjoy!
Make in 15 minutes
- In a blender, pulse together the garlic, ginger with an equal amount of water, to form a paste.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the tomato paste, garlic and ginger paste, and ground cumin, coriander, chili and turmeric. Mix well and stir for 5 minutes until some moisture evaporates and the paste becomes more solid.
- Add a little water to loosen the sauce and mix well.
- Add the sugar and mix well until dissolved. Add the garam masala.
- Mix the yogurt well to prevent it to split and pour it into the pan.
- If using raw chicken, poach it in the sauce now. Alternatively, chop or pull your leftover chicken and put it in the tomato sauce. Mix well for 5-8 minutes to cook the chicken through.
- Add the fenugreek, turn the heat off. Gently stir the butter in the sauce until it is completely melted.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, enjoy with a side of rice, vegetables or on its own!
- 1 cup concentrated tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves
- A small thumb of ginger (about 2cm)
- 1/2 cup of water, plus additional water for the sauce
- 2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves or ground fenugreek
- 1 tbsp butter
- Chicken (I used leftover rotisserie chicken) (Blood type AB see TIP below)